Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Which should be the more binding?

Congressional Oath of Office

"I, _______________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

Taxpayer Protection Pledge

"I, _______________, pledge to the taxpayers of the state of _______________,  and to the American people that I will:

ONE, oppose any and all efforts to increase the marginal income tax rates for individuals and/or businesses; and

TWO, oppose any net reduction or elimination of deductions and credits, unless matched dollar for dollar by further reducing tax rates."

* * * * *

The "supercommittee" has failed in it's effort to reach an agreement on a deficit reduction plan.

The Supercommittee Collapses
NY Times Editorial, November 21, 2011

Supercommittee Failure Threatens Recovery as Rating Affirmed
By Heidi Przybyla, Business Week,November 22, 2011

For Deficit Panel, Failure Cuts Two Ways
By Binyamin Appelbaum and Annie Lowrey, NY Times, November 21, 2011
 
So the 'Super Committee' Failed. How Will That Affect You? - Debt panel's failure could hit millions of Americans in the pocketbook, but picture won't be clear until 2013
By Alex M. Parker, US News & World Reports, November 21, 2011

Pete Stenson

No comments:

Post a Comment